The actual placement of incisions and design of the abdominal incisions vary depending on the looseness of the underlying tissues, the amount of fat to be removed, the condition of the overlying skin and prior scars.
For those women where the sagging skin is mainly in the lower abdomen the mini-abdominoplasty is an additional option. This procedure is not as extensive due to a smaller incision that is easily hidden under a two piece bathing suit. This procedure offers a more rapid recovery and may be done on an outpatient basis.
Who is a Candidate?
- Women with loose or sagging abdominal wall skin.
- Women with abnormal relaxation of the anterior (front) abdominal wall muscles due to weight gain or loss, pregnancies, or prior surgery.
- Those who are unable to tighten the abdominal wall skin with exercise.
Lipo Tummy Tuck (Lipoabdominalplasty)
Lipo Tummy Tuck (Lipoabdominoplasty) involves the best of both worlds. For patients who have both excess fat and lax skin, liposuction in combination with abdominoplasty provides a safe, efficient alternative to traditional abdominoplasty, and typically does not require the use of drainage tubes.
Mini Tummy Tuck (Mini-Abdominoplasty)
A mini Tummy Tuck (mini-abdominoplasty) is often performed on patients whose problem is mainly confined below the belly button. During this procedure, the surgeon most likely will not move your belly button. Liposuction may still be performed during this procedure to help you achieve your desired body contouring goals.
Lipo Tummy Tuck (Lipoabdominoplasty) Post-Operative Instructions
- Deep Coughs – 4-6 times deep coughs per hour as instructed to prevent atelectasis, a condition of the lung following surgery that causes fever, shortness of breath, and feeling ill.
- Ambulating – Must walk every 2-3 hours for 5 minutes to help reduce swelling and lower the risk of blood clots.
When walking you must be bend at the waist avoid tension on the abdominal skin and muscles. Your back may become sore in this position so we recommend warm compresses and Icy-Hot gels. You may not be able to stand up straight for 10 days or so.
Traditional Tummy Tuck Drains – For the first 4-5 days you will need to empty drains when they are at the half way point to keep them in suction mode. After this start using your DRAIN LOG and empty once every 24 hours. If full before 24 hours, empty drains and start timing over. To avoid infection always WASH YOUR HANDS before handing your drains and cleaning incision area. Abdominal drains are removed when less than 30ml per 24 hours per drain.
No showering until after your POST-OP appointment, and for 48 hours after your drains are removed. (However you may take a sponge bath.) After dressings are removed, you may resume showering using an antibacterial soap. Always pat dry the incision area, DON’T RUB.
- Lifting – No lifting greater than 10-15lbs for the first 2 weeks after surgery or otherwise instructed by the doctor. On your 2 week follow-up appointment, ask the doctor about your individual weight limitations. These will vary depending on the extent of muscle repair. (However, if you must lift, use your legs).
- Garment – Wear your garment continuously for 4-6 weeks after surgery. (However you may remove it to shower & wash).
- Exercise – Avoid straining of abdominal muscles. Strenuous exercise and activities are restricted for up to 6 weeks after surgery.
*Do not remove the Surgical Glue or Adhesive Strips (steri-strips). These will fall off within a week or two after surgery. If the steri strips have not come off after 14 days, they may be gently removed. (Always Wash your hands)
*Protect the scar from direct sun or tanning bed exposure for 2 years, or until the scar is the same color as the surrounding skin. This will help to prevent abnormal pigmentation of the scar.
Contact Us for a Consultation
A combination of procedures along with a tummy tuck may also be performed on patients after weight loss to remove loose, excess skin and fat. To see examples of Shape’s patient results, feel free to view tummy tuck before and after photos.Men and women who are interested in a tummy tuck in Spokane or Tri-Cities with Dr. Lundeby can schedule a free consultation to find out if they are the right candidate. At this time, prospective patients can also have all of their tummy tuck questions answered.
To contact Shape Cosmetic Surgery & Med Spa, PLLC, please call 509-458-SKIN or email us to schedule a complimentary consultation.